Design 102: Building Instructional Interactions
Bridge the gap between understanding design and being able to build it. In this course, you will use your preferred development tool to create robust CCAF interactions.
Participate in a hands-on workshop to learn how to use Articulate Storyline* or Captivate to build instructional interactions. Basic knowledge of the tools is assumed. Learners will learn how to create interactions outside of the traditional “test-question” model, focusing specifically on using imagery and hot-spot and hot-object interactivity to create compelling context, using variables to track actions and delay judgment, and non-linear sequencing. This will be a multi-week course with required independent work.
In this course you will:
- Participate in hands-on workshops
- Recreate award-winning e-learning activities from the Allen Interactions portfolio
- Work with professionally-created assets, provided by the instructor
- Create interactions outside of the traditional “test-question” model
- Use imagery and hot-spot interactivity to create compelling context
- Employ variables to track actions and delay judgment
- Craft non-linear, learner-driven interfaces
Experience level: You should have some basic knowledge of the Storyline interface. If you've never used Storyline before, we also recommend orienting yourself to the interface with some simple tutorials prior to the first session.
Format: Virtual instructor-led (webinar series) with some independent work
Duration: 12 hours total (6 x 2-hour instructor-led sessions) over 3 weeks
Instructor: Ethan Edwards
- Online instructor-led sessions are conducted via webinar on the Zoom platform. (View Zoom's system requirements here.) You will need a good enough internet connection to view your instructor's shared screen and to access examples of online interactivity.
- You'll need access to Articulate® Storyline for this Design 102 course. If you don't have access to Storyline through your employer, we recommend you install the free 60-day trial version.
*Currently offered only for Storyline. Sign up here for updates on the Captivate course.